Monday, January 12, 2009

Slamming the hoards

I was amazed at the number and range of questions posted on the answer boards. I suppose this is the modern equivalent of hanging over the back fence and asking your neighbour a question.

I took a close look at the questions in the health category on both WikiAnswers and on Yahoo!7Answers. I found that about half the questions actually required the person to see a doctor. What they were after was an interpretation of a set of symptoms, in other words medical advice not plain information.

So if I was slamming the boards as a health librarian, my most frequently used answer would be; "Go see your doctor". That would not make me very popular and would certainly not get me any Best Answer votes. Despite this, I think the slamming the boards campaign is an excellent idea.

No comments: